Ronald David Glass
|Title||Professor of Philosophy of Education, |
Director, UC Center for Collaborative Research for an Equitable California
|Division||Social Sciences Division|
|Affiliations||Center for Collaborative Research for an Equitable California|
|Web Site|| CCREC - UC Center for Collaborative Research for an Equitable California|
|Office||McHenry Library, 3122|
|Office Hours||By Appointment|
|Campus Mail Stop||Education Department|
|1156 High Street; McHenry 3122 (EDUC)|
Santa Cruz, CA
Biography, Education and Training
Ph.D. Stanford University; Philosophy of Education
M.A. Stanford University; Philosophy
C.Phil. University of California, Berkeley; Philosophy of Education
Ed.M. Harvard University
B.A. Harvard University; cum laude, History and Science
Honors, Awards and Grants
Stanford University School of Education Faculty Award for Outstanding Teaching
Arizona State University Dondrell Swanson "Advocates of Social Justice' Award
Arizona State University Excellence in Diversity Award
Phoenix, AZ, Human Relations Commission Martin Luther King, Jr., Living the Dream Award
- Anne Newman & Ronald David Glass. 2014. Comparing Ethical and Epistemic Standards for Investigative Journalists and Equity-Oriented Collaborative Community-Based Researchers: Why Working for a University Matters. The Journal of Higher Education. 85(3), 283-311.
- Anne Newman & Ronald David Glass. 2014. Ethical and Epistemic Dilemmas in Empirically Engaged Philosophy of Education. Studies in Philosophy and Education. Published on-line by Springer Press 24 April 2014.
- Pia Lindquist Wong & Ronald David Glass. (2011). Professional development schools and student learning and achievement. In J. Neapolitan (Ed.), Taking Stock of Professional Development Schools: What’s Needed Now. New York, NY: Teachers College Press and the National Society for the Study of Education. Volume 110: No. 2., 403-431.
- Ronald David Glass & Kysa Nygreen. (2011). Class, race, and the discourse of ‘college for all’. Democracy and Education. 19:1.
- Ronald David Glass. (2011). Critical pedagogy and moral education. In J. Devitis & T. Yu (Eds.), Character and Moral Education: A Reader. New York, NY: Peter Lang Publishers. 227-239.
- Pia Lindquist Wong & Ronald David Glass (Eds.). (2009). PRIORITIZING URBAN CHILDREN, TEACHERS, AND SCHOOLS THROUGH PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT SCHOOLS. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press.
- Ronald David Glass (Ed.) (2009). PHILOSOPHY OF EDUCATION 2008. Urbana, IL: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and Philosophy of Education Society.
- Ronald David Glass. (2009). Education and the ethics of democratic citizenship. In Education, Democracy, and the Moral Life. S. Verducci, M. Katz, G. Biesta (Eds). Dordrecht, Netherlands: Springer Verlag Publishers. 9-30.
- Ronald David Glass. (2004). Moral and political clarity and education as a practice of freedom. In Democratic Dialogue and Education: Troubling Speech, Disturbing Silence, M. Boler (Ed), New York: Peter Lang. 15-32.
- Ronald David Glass. (2001). Paulo Freire’s philosophy of praxis and the foundations of liberation education. Educational Researcher. 30(2), 15-25.
COURSES: Identity and Schooling; Ethical Issues and Teaching; Critical Pedagogy; Educational Reform; Schools, Communities, and Families; Ideology and Education; Critical Theories in Education
Courses TaughtEDUC 102, Education Media and Society
EDUC 104, Ethical Issues and Teaching
EDUC 178, Advanced Topics: Education as Freedom
EDUC 263, Educational Reform