Individual Study Course with Education Faculty

Reach out to Education Department Faculty to discuss your idea for an Individual Study course and ask if they would be willing to sponsor/supervise you.  

  • Plan ahead! It is best to initiate this process in the quarter prior to that which you plan to do the study

  • Your faculty sponsor cannot be a visiting professor, lecturer, or graduate student 

  • An individual studies course can be a 2 unit or 5 unit course (2-unit course requires about six hours of work per week and a 5-unit course requires about 15 hours of work per week)

Once a faculty member agrees to sponsor you, complete a Petition for Undergraduate Individual Studies Course, ask the faculty to complete and sign the form, and submit to the Department Undergraduate Advisor.

If the individual studies course is approved, the Advisor will provide a class number to enroll.

Enroll in the course by the ADD/DROP/SWAP deadline and with the approved grade option marked by your sponsoring faculty member.

  • Individual Studies Courses do not automatically fulfill Education Major or Minor Requirements. In order for your Individual Study to be considered for substitution of a minor requirement course, please submit a petition for a course exception.